ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-rn-wg]

status quo [RE: [gnso-rn-wg] gTLD Reserved Names Chart]

  • To: "'Tim Ruiz'" <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Ray Fassett'" <ray@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: status quo [RE: [gnso-rn-wg] gTLD Reserved Names Chart]
  • From: "Edmon Chung" <edmon@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 May 2007 01:36:31 +0800

Hi Ray, I suppose you were mentioning me in your note earlier :-)

Hi Tim,

When we had the discussion within the subgroup I believe the point was that all
registries currently have that restriction.  In fact including .COM.  The
current arrangement is as follows (taken from the current .COM contract):

Registration Restrictions.  Registry Operator shall reserve, and not register
any TLD strings (i) appearing on the list of reserved TLD strings attached as
Appendix 6 hereto or (ii) located at
http://data.iana.org/TLD/tlds-alpha-by-domain.txt for initial (i.e., other than
renewal) registration at the second level within the TLD.

What it meant is that domains that are already allocated will be allowed to
continue to renew, but if they are deleted they will be reserved thereupon.

The proposal was to maintain the "status quo" as mentioned and existing in the
contracts, and to allow the release of the names without requiring the change.

My suggestion is actually that registries should give consent to the release of
a name, for which consent must not be unreasonably withheld.  That I think
should be sufficient to address the anti-competitive issue, without having to
make it overly cumbersome for anyone.  By saying that it should not be
unreasonably withheld, we eliminate the issue of good faith release, and stop
the potential bad faith registrations (e.g. one used specifically to confuse
others that they are the registry of the name... imagine say a TLD called
".headquarters" and someone puts up a website on "nic.jobs.headquarters"
confusing people that they are the authority for .jobs and offering
registrations.  I think it will possibly disruptive to Ray).  Notice on the
other hand, is simply served to ICANN and archived and should not add to burden
of ICANN nor become unmanageable.

The point I think I want to make is that, there is some merits and some
concerns about completely changing the status quo, and this is a solution we
felt addresses the direction of the release of these names without excessive
administrative process and in an equitable manner.

Edmon

PS. To preserve the new note sent in by Ray on this thread, I have changed the
subject for this simple note.

PPS. Apologies for not being able to join the meeting today.