ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-rn-wg]

RE: [gnso-rn-wg] gTLD Reserved Names Chart

  • To: "Ray Fassett" <ray@xxxxxxxxx>, "Michael D. Palage" <michael@xxxxxxxxxx>, <gnso-rn-wg@xxxxxxxxx>, <gnso-pro-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-rn-wg] gTLD Reserved Names Chart
  • From: "Mike Rodenbaugh" <mxr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 23:00:42 -0700

Ray, I wanted to follow up on this even though the RN work is now done,
after our exchange at the end of today's call.  I do much appreciate the
point you are making.  These scenarios of course are already happening
and frankly I have rarely if ever tried to deal with them, having so
many other infringement problems.  But expanding the problem into an
unlimited number of new TLDs is definitely not a good idea as it will
create an exponential number of new problems.  I think this dovetails
with the point Palage is making in PRO-WG about prohibiting third level
registrations, at least if the second level name is a TLD name or
confusingly similar to a TLD name.  This is something we all need to
seriously consider in the newTLD work.  Would you support that?

We still have existing legacy problems and there will be more after the
next round of TLDs, I guess the only way to deal with those will be
through legal process, but a policy from ICANN prohibiting such
registrations that are confusingly similar (even if no enforced
retroactive effect) might help both these 'third level registries' and
the victims of abusive registrations deal with them as they arise.

I think this issue should be addressed by the PRO-WG making a
recommendation.

Mike Rodenbaugh

Sr. Legal Director

Yahoo! Inc.

NOTICE:  This communication is confidential and may be protected by
attorney-client and/or work product privilege.  If you are not the
intended recipient, please notify me by reply, and delete this
communication and any attachments.

  _____