ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-rn-wg]

[gnso-rn-wg] RE: [gtld-council] NCUC proposals to amend gnso recommendations on new gtld policy

  • To: <robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <gtld-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <gnso-rn-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-rn-wg] RE: [gtld-council] NCUC proposals to amend gnso recommendations on new gtld policy
  • From: "Mike Rodenbaugh" <mxr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2007 11:36:35 -0700

I disagree with the NCUC's suggested change to Reco #3.  There are ample
numbers of 2d and higher lever domains that can be used for freedom of
expression, with exponentially more to come.  NCUC seems to suggest that
some prospective TLD operator would want to run an entire TLD full of
gripe sites as to one trademark.  Such a business would not be protected
under the guise of 'freedom of expression' under any nation's law that I
am aware of.

The current Reco is tied to a core ICANN value of protecting security
and stability.  If a TLD corresponding to a well-known trademark were
awarded to any entity other than the trademark owner, it is highly
likely that many users would be confused and placed at higher risk of
crime through activity at that TLD.  This is the same security and
stability concern that underlies the UDRP, as to 2d level and higher
domains.

Mike Rodenbaugh

Sr. Legal Director

Yahoo! Inc.

NOTICE:  This communication is confidential and may be protected by
attorney-client and/or work product privilege.  If you are not the
intended recipient, please notify me by reply, and delete this
communication and any attachments.