ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-rrc-a]

RE: [gnso-rrc-a] Draft to Response to Public Comments and Finalization of Report

  • To: "Beau Brendler" <beaubrendler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Michele Neylon :: Blacknight" <michele@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-rrc-a] Draft to Response to Public Comments and Finalization of Report
  • From: "Diaz, Paul" <pdiaz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 08:43:15 -0400

The third "issue" noted below is inaccurate and needs to be toned down:
no registrar is or has been "in violation of the RAA for each passing
day they did not have the current language on registrant rights posted
to their web sites" as no such approved language yet exists.  Note RAA
3.15:

3.15 In the event that ICANN gives reasonable notice to Registrar that
ICANN has published a webpage that identifies available registrant
rights and responsibilities, and the content of such webpage is
developed in consultation with registrars, Registrar shall provide a
link to the webpage on any website it may operate for domain name
registration or renewal clearly displayed to its Registered Name Holders
at least as clearly as its links to policies or notifications required
to be displayed under ICANN Consensus Policies.

As the registrant rights and responsibilities language has not yet been
approved via the bottom-up, consensus driven policy development process,
it is inaccurate (if not argumentative) to claim that registrars are in
violation of the RAA.  I suggest dropping this sentence completely.  In
the alternative, modify it to express the community's desire to see the
Registrants' Rights and Responsibilities document formally accepted,
posted by ICANN, and publicized by accredited registrars.

Regards, P