ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-sl-wg]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

RE: FW: [gnso-sl-wg] two of the assigned drafts are attached

• To: GShatan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, gnso-sl-wg@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: FW: [gnso-sl-wg] two of the assigned drafts are attached
  • Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 15:12:34 -0400

<html><div style='background-color:'><P><BR>I have attached my draft assignment of a 
draft for Recommendation 6, and&nbsp; also attached Neal Blair's draft for Recommendation Seven. Both the 
recommendations were rewritten to be consistent with the draft recommendations from Patrick's summary chart on 
page 6,and then fleshed out, per the outline. </P>
<P>Neal is traveling. I am not sure if he is&nbsp;going to be able to be on the call 
in person. I am familiar with his section and can walk through it if he is held up. </P>
<P>He also asked that I ask the group how it was intended to deal with '-', which was 
discussed with the two technical experts last week, but isn't documented, except in the 
transcript. I reviewed the transcript, and since it was Avri's question, wondered if she might 
want to ensure that the discussion is captured in the body of the report in some way, or 
footnoted on the recommendations page, or included in&nbsp; the write up on 'symbols'. 
</P>
<P>I did send both of these drafts off to Steve Bellovin and Mark McFadden and asked them 
to advise if these recommendations capture their 'advice' during the technical call. I am not 
sure how best to capture the description of both, since they were&nbsp; not 'technical 
experts', but are offering their comments informally, during a conference call. I have 
accordingly described it as an interactive consultation. </P>
<P>Finally,&nbsp;it seems a pretty big waste of time to try to have an agreed document 
from my working notes.&nbsp; I am not sure how they fit into the report, in any case. Perhaps 
both the original, and Mike Rodenbaugh's suggested 'deletes' should just be part of the archives of 
emails. I think that is the usual treatment of contributions to email lists at ICANN. </P>
<P>And, given the amount of work that still remains, that seems a better use of 
everyone's time. </P>
<P>Regards</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>Marilyn <BR></P>
<P><BR><BR></P>
<BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #a0c6e5 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 
0px"><FONT style="FONT-SIZE: 11px; FONT-FAMILY: tahoma,sans-serif">
<HR color=#a0c6e5 SIZE=1>
From: <I>"Shatan, Gregory S." &lt;GShatan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx&gt;</I><BR>To: <I>&lt;gnso-sl-wg@xxxxxxxxx&gt;</I><BR>Subject: 
<I>FW: [gnso-sl-wg] Updated Single and Two Character Labels Subgroup Report</I><BR>Date: <I>Sat, 28 Apr 2007 19:56:31 -0400</I><BR><BR>
<META content="Microsoft SafeHTML" name=Generator>
<STYLE>
</STYLE>

<STYLE>
@page Section1
{size:8.5in 11.0in;margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in;}
P.MsoNormal
{font-size:12pt;margin:0in 0in 0pt;font-family:'Times New Roman';}
LI.MsoNormal
DIV.MsoNormal
A:link
{color:blue;text-decoration:underline;}
SPAN.MsoHyperlink
{color:blue;text-decoration:underline;}
A:visited
{color:purple;text-decoration:underline;}
SPAN.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
{color:purple;text-decoration:underline;}
SPAN.EmailStyle17
{color:windowtext;font-family:Arial;}
DIV.Section1
{page:Section1;}
</STYLE>

<DIV dir=ltr align=left><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN class=697583523-28042007>Just a 
reminder that we all have assignments to revise parts of the subgroup report.&nbsp; According to my notes, which 
may not be entirely trustworthy, these are as follows (using the recommendation numbers in the revised document -- 
attached):</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV dir=ltr align=left><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN 
class=697583523-28042007></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV dir=ltr align=left><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN class=697583523-28042007>4.&nbsp; 
Single&nbsp;letters at the Top Level -- Greg</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV dir=ltr align=left><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN class=697583523-28042007>5.&nbsp; 
Single&nbsp;letters and&nbsp;digits at the second level -- Avri</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV dir=ltr align=left><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN class=697583523-28042007>6.&nbsp; 
Single and Two&nbsp;Digits at the top level -- Marilyn</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
class=697583523-28042007>7.&nbsp; Single Letter/Single Digit Combinations at the Top Level -- 
Neil</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV dir=ltr align=left><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN class=697583523-28042007>8.&nbsp; 
Two&nbsp;Letters at the top level -- Alistair</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
class=697583523-28042007>9.&nbsp; Any Combination of Two Letters and Digits at the Second Level -- revision not 
needed</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV dir=ltr align=left><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN class=697583523-28042007>Revision 
of Marilyn's Summary Report&nbsp;of Technical Experts Call -- Mike</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
class=697583523-28042007>Please correct any faulty notes/recollections I 
have.</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV dir=ltr align=left><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN class=697583523-28042007>We have 
our next call Monday at 4:30 EDT&nbsp;(details circulated). It would be good to have revisions (in track changes) 
circulated with enough time to review before the call so we can discuss on the 
call.</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV dir=ltr align=left><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN class=697583523-28042007>Talk 
to you all Monday!</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
class=697583523-28042007>Greg</SPAN></FONT></DIV><BR>
<DIV class=OutlookMessageHeader lang=en-us dir=ltr align=left>
<HR>
<FONT face=Tahoma size=2><B>From:</B> owner-gnso-sl-wg@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-gnso-sl-wg@xxxxxxxxx] <B>On Behalf Of </B>Patrick Jones<BR><B>Sent:</B> 
Friday, April 27, 2007 12:43 AM<BR><B>To:</B> gnso-sl-wg@xxxxxxxxx<BR><B>Cc:</B> 'Tina Dam'; ck@xxxxxxxxxx; 'Gomes, Chuck'; 'Liz 
Williams'<BR><B>Subject:</B> [gnso-sl-wg] Updated Single and Two Character Labels Subgroup Report<BR></FONT><BR></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV class=Section1>
<P class=MsoNormal><FONT face=Arial size=2><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">As 
discussed earlier in the week, I have attached an updated single and two character labels subgroup report. I ran into 
problems with the latest template, so it remains a bit of a hybrid, but I wanted to make sure that an update went out to the 
subgroup that included materials on the definition of character and single and two character IDNs. I plan to add to the IDN 
section tomorrow morning.</SPAN></FONT></P>
<P class=MsoNormal><FONT face=Arial size=2><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: 
Arial"></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</P>
<P class=MsoNormal><FONT face=Arial size=2><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">I 
want to thank Tina and Cary for their input and editing to my initial drafting on the definition of character over the past 
two weeks. The section is the result of inquiries to Michael Everson and Cary as experts and substantial guidance and 
suggestions from Cary and Tina. I think the definition should provide assistance to the new gTLD 
process.</SPAN></FONT></P>
<P class=MsoNormal><FONT face=Arial size=2><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: 
<P class=MsoNormal><FONT face=Arial size=2><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">I have 
updated the definitions table and the recommendations table (although this may still need some tweaking). The recommendation 
sections, except for definition of character and single and two character IDNs, are essential the same as the previous draft 
(which was a cut &amp; paste from the 19 March 2007 RN WG Report). I have added back in the section on symbols, based on 
Chuck?s instructions from yesterday?s full WG call.</SPAN></FONT></P>
<P class=MsoNormal><FONT face=Arial size=2><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">I 
still need to update the sections with references to the GAC Principles on New gTLDs and where relevant, the IDN WG Outcomes 
Report. I?ll complete that tomorrow. I can?t look at this anymore tonight.</SPAN></FONT></P>
<P class=MsoNormal><FONT face=Arial size=2><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">If 
you want to update sections, or if I have left out new material, please let me know.</SPAN></FONT></P>
<P class=MsoNormal><FONT face=Arial size=2><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Also 
let me know if you have questions. I?ll be online again in the morning.</SPAN></FONT></P>
Arial">Patrick</SPAN></FONT></P>
Arial">Patrick L. Jones</SPAN></FONT></P>
Arial">Registry Liaison Manager</SPAN></FONT></P>
Arial">Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers</SPAN></FONT></P>
<P class=MsoNormal><FONT face=Arial size=2><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">4676 
Admiralty Way, Suite 330</SPAN></FONT></P>
Arial">Marina</SPAN></FONT><FONT face=Arial size=2><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"> del Rey, CA 
90292</SPAN></FONT></P>
<P class=MsoNormal><FONT face=Arial size=2><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Tel: 
+1 310 301 3861</SPAN></FONT></P>
<P class=MsoNormal><FONT face=Arial size=2><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Fax: 
+1 310 823 8649</SPAN></FONT></P>
<P class=MsoNormal><FONT face=Arial size=2><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><A 
href="mailto:patrick.jones@xxxxxxxxx";>patrick.jones@xxxxxxxxx</A> </SPAN></FONT></P>
<P class=MsoNormal><FONT face="Times New Roman" size=3><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 
12pt"></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</P></DIV><BR>
<P>&gt;&lt;&lt; SubgroupRep1_2CharApr26.doc &gt;&gt;
<P></FONT></P></BLOCKQUOTE></div></html>

Attachment: RN WG RECOMMENDATION SIX.doc
Description: MS-Word document

Attachment: RECOMMENDATION SEVEN.doc
Description: MS-Word document

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy