ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-sl-wg]

RE: [gnso-sl-wg] RE: Redline draft of 1 & 2 Character SG Report

  • To: "Shatan, Gregory S." <GShatan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <Alistair.Dixon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <patrick.jones@xxxxxxxxx>, <gnso-sl-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-sl-wg] RE: Redline draft of 1 & 2 Character SG Report
  • From: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 May 2007 13:36:08 -0400

Here is what I was envisioning Greg.

1. Single letter names are released on the 2nd level before the top
level.

2. b.TLD is registered.

3. Single letter names are released at the top level after the above.

4. The single letters and digits recommendation at the 2nd level in the
most recent draft report sent out by Patrick adds the following
sentence: "If single letter TLDs are unreserved, reserve single letters
at the second level in these domains."  That means that b.TLD would have
been reserved if it wasn't already registered, but because it is already
registered, you could feasibly end up with a registration b.b.  Wasn't
the subgroup trying to avoid that, or did I misunderstand something?  If
you are trying to avoid registrations like b.b, then it seems like "b"
would have to be reserved at the top level because it was already
registered as a name at the 2nd level.

Note the following in statement in the Rationale section of Section 1.4:
"However, there may be technical concerns regarding the use of single
letter and digit domains at the second level in a single letter TLD
(e.g., 1.a or a.a).  Allocation of single letters at both the top level
and second level in combination may [will??] cause certain older DNS
software applications to incorrectly resolve."  Also note the last
sentence in the into to Section 1.5: "If single letter TLDs are
unreserved, single letters at the second level would need to be reserved
in these domains."  And finally note the last paragraph in Section 1.5:
"In relation to the special case of single letters in single letter
TLDs, consultation with technical experts identified that the problem
that RFC 1535 discusses is likely to be experienced with combinations of
single letters at the top and second level.  (RFC1535 discusses security
problems posed by some resolvers that attempt to resolve a partial name
by processing a search list of partial domains to be added to portions
of the specified host name until a DNS record is found.)  Single letters
at the second level would need to be reserved in single letter TLDs
until this problem has been eliminated."

Does this make sense?

Chuck Gomes