ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-sl-wg]

RE: [gnso-sl-wg] FW: Clean version of 1-2 Character Report

  • To: "Shatan, Gregory S." <GShatan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, gnso-sl-wg@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-sl-wg] FW: Clean version of 1-2 Character Report
  • From: Alistair DIXON <Alistair.Dixon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 12:20:00 +1200

I am happy with the report though it looks to me like further changes are
required because of Bellovin's comments, which I presume were discussed this
morning.   Also I suggest changing footnote 1 as follows:

[1] This is notwithstanding two letter TLDs will be allowed only as ccTLDs,
when added to the ISO-3166 list, and as such all two letter ASCII strings will
remain reserved at the top level and second level of a domain name, although
registries may propose release of two letter LDH strings at the second level
provided that measures to avoid confusion with any corresponding country codes
are implemented.

The change that I have made is replacing the word "character" in the phrases
"... and as such all two character ASCII strings will remain ...."  and "
although registries may propose release of two character LDH strings" with
"letter".  We are not proposing continued reservation of all two character
ASCII strings, only two letter and two number ASCII strings.

Alistair