ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-stability-thickwhois]

Re: [gnso-stability-thickwhois] Escrow & Stability

  • To: <gnso-stability-thickwhois@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-stability-thickwhois] Escrow & Stability
  • From: Alan Greenberg <alan.greenberg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 18:43:40 -0500

I am at a bit of a loss as to how we are going to proceed.

On the questions of benefits of having two repositories and two escrows, all parties agree that it would be good, but NCUC, NPOC and Verisign feel that there are risks or problems associated with both registrars and registries housing data that outweigh the benefits. NPOC's position is that if things are run well, extra copies are not needed. It is not clear how to ensure that things are run well.

On the question of whether registrar escrow is needed IF we have all thick registries, all parties that answered think that registrar escrow should be kept, but some of the answers seem to imply "we don't want thick so therefore registrar escrow still needed".

I am attaching an extract of the comment template for our questions with my short-hand summaries in column D. Feel free to add your own.

Alan