ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-stakeholder-charters]

Further Comments on CSG charter

  • To: gnso-stakeholder-charters@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Further Comments on CSG charter
  • From: "S. Subbiah" <subbiah@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 22:14:58 -0700

Just noticed some fine print. In 4.2 it states that all 3 existing commercial constituencies must unanimously agree to any new member joining the commercial constituency. This, even if ICANN staff, CEO or ICANN Board or presumably GAC or the US government or Department of Commerce or God himself/herself approve such an applicant.

Actually even with Gods there is choice - within Hinduism you may choose one of the the other 3000 Aryan concoctions if one fails you. Or if the Catholics throw you out, a King Henry could have gone to Allah or Buddha happily, before creating one's own path.

I and others had initially pointed this out in the Public comments regarding the proposed IDNgTLD constituency. I take it that staff will collate comments from there as well as with the other proposed new Constituencies and include it as part of these Public Comments, asthey are pertinent.

I used to think that only in undemocratic tin-pot countries run by dictators or thugs or despots that such blatant seeking of eternal power by those already in control can be sanctioned. Guess not. Even this past 3 weeks we have Caesar-for-life type-quests in civilised places (judging by the arc of a 1000 years of history) - one in the Central Asia and one in Central Amercia. Why not, in ICANN I suppose ?

S. Subbiah
In personal capacity