ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-sti]

RE: [gnso-sti] Transfer of domain name to claimant after successful URS

  • To: "Alan Greenberg" <alan.greenberg@xxxxxxxxx>, "GNSO STI" <gnso-sti@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-sti] Transfer of domain name to claimant after successful URS
  • From: "Neuman, Jeff" <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 10:20:42 -0500

Sorry I missed the call yesterday, but everyone deserves a vacation once
in a while.  Please remember, that while I do not have an issue with a
transfer, I have a huge issue with the proposed waiting period.
Remember, under the UDRP, all implementation of decisions is done at the
registrar level.  What is being proposed now with the URS is
implementation at the registry level which is a whole new ball game.  To
the extent that the STI expects the Registry to implement the 90-180 day
waiting period before the transfer, this is something I strongly oppose.
This would require all new coding of each new registry for a process
that will rarely (in the scheme of things) be used.

In addition, under the UDRP, the registrar has a short 10 days to hold a
name while pending appeal.  The number of cases that fall into an
expiration/auto renew period is very small.  Extending that
waiting/appeal period to 90-180 days drastically increases the number of
names that will fall into that expiration period.  That is a huge
implementation problem.

My strong suggestion....make it like the UDRP.  Transfer option offered
right away with a 10 day appeal period and have it implemented the same
way the UDRP is implemented.  The registries will not support a new
system just for URS.

Sorry to be so direct, but I want to make sure my disagreement is clear.

Jeffrey J. Neuman

The information contained in this e-mail message is intended only for
the use of the recipient(s) named above and may contain confidential
and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient you
have received this e-mail message in error and any review,
dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly
notify us immediately and delete the original message.