ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-sti]

[gnso-sti] Transfer of domain name to claimant after successful URS

  • To: GNSO STI <gnso-sti@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-sti] Transfer of domain name to claimant after successful URS
  • From: Alan Greenberg <alan.greenberg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 09:57:25 -0500

The following comments are my own and have not yet been discussed with Olivier or At-Large.

At the end of the call yesterday, it seemed that the issue is transfer of the domain name after a successful URS has become a critical go/no-go issue.

I was not a strong supporter of this to start, and in fact accepted the argument that just because one slime-ball misused a TM which also has alternate meanings, does not mean the next registrant will, and we should not take names out of the name pool forever due to one problem.

Based on what I have heard to date, I have changed my mind.

The argument that the next registrant may use the generic word or TM in a more benign way is true, but the chances are that eventually that name will go back into the pool again (via a delete or an auction) and the NEXT user may not be as conscientious.

I support the ability of a successful URS claimant to adopt the name (at their choice) but only after some reasonable amount of time has passed. Perhaps 90-180 days.

We have already generally acknowledged that there is a need for a claimant to be able to extend a registration if necessary so that it does not expire during the URS process (although it is not clear how easy this will be to implement).

I would suggest that a successful claimant can take over the name at the end of the registration period (it is locked until then), but in no case less than 90 days.

Since a locked-after-successful-URS domain will be explicitly flagged as such (since it will point to the URS provider's special alert page), it should be possible to implement this.

Alan