ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-sti]

RE: [gnso-sti] Updated Strawman Proposal for Trademark Clearinghouse

  • To: "Margie Milam" <Margie.Milam@xxxxxxxxx>, "GNSO STI" <gnso-sti@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-sti] Updated Strawman Proposal for Trademark Clearinghouse
  • From: "Neuman, Jeff" <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 22:26:43 -0500

Sorry for the fragmented e-mail, but I do not understand this statement:

TC may provide post launch IP Claims Service as a separate nonexclusive
service, with implementation details left to Staff to address possible
monopoly and competition concerns (such as making information available
to competitors);  Report to indicate that registries should consider
providing post launch IP Claims protection for common law rights if it
fits the registry's purpose.

First question is how can the clearinghouse offer an IP Claims service
unless the registry also offers it?  Without the registry offering it,
it is just a watch service that lets the TM owner know that a domain
name matching the trademark has been registered.

Second question is on the last sentence about report to indicate that
registries should consider providing post launch IP claims protection
for common law rights if it first the registry's purpose.  I am not sure
I understand what that means.  Which report ?  What does it mean "if it
fits the registry's purpose"?  I do not want to see any report from us
state that we believe registries should consider anything about a
post-launch IP Claims service absent a feasibility study.  I do not
believe it is feasible for any real time registry.  Using words like
"should consider", "best practice" or "recommended practice" are loaded
terms that imply that a registry who does none of them is not a top tier
registry and that must be avoided.

Jeffrey J. Neuman

The information contained in this e-mail message is intended only for
the use of the recipient(s) named above and may contain confidential
and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient you
have received this e-mail message in error and any review,
dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly
notify us immediately and delete the original message.