ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-sti]

[gnso-sti] Questions raised on Clearinghouse Strawman; consensus?

  • To: GNSO STI <gnso-sti@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-sti] Questions raised on Clearinghouse Strawman; consensus?
  • From: Kathy Kleiman <Kathy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 12:56:12 -0500

Many things passed quickly during the last Clearinghouse discussion, including many new ideas, presented by one person, disagreed by another, and then written up, we found, as consensus.

So let's go back to a few issues we do not think have been decided, and may block the process,
which, has come so far.

A. Marks need to come from jurisdictions a substantive evaluation and verification. (That was an IRT idea.)

B. Response to #2 and #6:
We/ NCSG does not support any specific requirement or language for ancillary services. **Content of the Clearinghouse is a policy issue, not an implementation detail.** We support ICANN contracting for a separate and independent Trademark Clearinghouse database, along the lines we discussed; all other databases and ancillary services are a market detail.

C. Response to #7:
We don't recall discussing pre-registration for URS, and certainly not to any level close to consensus. Detail sought.

Kathy

Great concern about the use of "consensus" here:

#6 Voluntary Pre-Launch Use of the Trademark Clearinghouse
Mandatory use to support pre-launch of a registry for either a sunrise process or a IP Claims Service (no requirement that a registry use both); Sunrise registrations should allow for specialized gTLDs to restrict eligibility for sunrise registrations to fit the purpose of the registry (example, .shoe could restrict sunrise to only trademark registrations in class of goods and services related to shoes). No requirement of use by existing registries since the mandatory use is only for pre-launch activities.

#7 Voluntary Use of the Trademark Clearinghouse Post-Launch
Voluntary use as a pre-registration process for URS; no requirement that the TC be used to support post-launch IP Claims; TC may provide post launch IP Claims Service as a separate nonexclusive service, with implementation details left to Staff to address possible monopoly and competition concerns (such as making information available to competitors); Report to indicate that registries should consider providing post launch IP Claims protection for common law rights if it fits the registry's purpose.