ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-sti]

[gnso-sti] CSC Paper Discussed on Yesterday's Call

  • To: <gnso-sti@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-sti] CSC Paper Discussed on Yesterday's Call
  • From: <McGradyP@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 09:31:21 -0600

Ladies & Gentlemen of the STI:

Attached is the paper from CSC.  Of the roughly 45,000 cases they
analyzed (single member panel cases only), approximately 7,000 domains
are either available for re-registration or were dropped and
re-registered by a third party.  So, in very rough terms, it looks like
85% of the time a complainant takes full advantage of the transfer
option through perpetual renewal.

I came to these rough calculations with just a quick glance at the
paper, so I urge the group to check my math or to share other views of
what the data tells us (or doesn't tell us - for example, are some of
the domain names that were dropped "retired" brands such as "Arthur
Anderson" and "Marshall Fields"?)  I'm not sure what the stats tell us,
other than that the transfer option is popular with complainants in the
UDRP context, but that a significant fraction of complainants have lived
without it.

I hope this is helpful to the discussion.  Please let me know if you
want me to see if the NAF or WIPO have any interesting studies on the
subject.

Best,
Paul

Paul D. McGrady, Jr.

Greenberg Traurig, LLP

77 West Wacker Drive, Suite 2500

Chicago, IL 60601

312 456 8426 tel

312 899 0407 fax

mcgradyp@xxxxxxxxx

Assistant: Loyanna Grierson (312) 236-4952 Direct Dial (312) 456-8435
Facsimile griersonl@xxxxxxxxx

    Tax Advice Disclosure: To ensure compliance with requirements imposed by
the IRS under Circular 230, we inform you that any U.S. federal tax advice
contained in this communication (including any attachments), unless otherwise
specifically stated, was not intended or written to be used, and cannot be
used, for the purpose of (1) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code
or (2) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any matters
addressed herein.

confidential information. It is intended only for the use of the person(s)
named above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
that any review, dissemination, distribution or duplication of this
communication is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient,
please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original
message. To reply to our email administrator directly, please send an email to
mailto:postmaster@xxxxxxxxx.