ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-sti]

RE: [gnso-sti]

  • To: "'GNSO STI'" <gnso-sti@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-sti]
  • From: "Zahid Jamil" <zahid@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2009 20:18:50 +0500

Dear Jon,

I would not see it appropriate to belittle any one's views.  My
understanding was that these are final positions - I had expressed these on
the last call and on several calls but with little or no engagement - these
positions are not new.

The BC members do not see the Clearinghouse as beneficial - this has been
expressed by my members so I would not venture to explain to them how the
view they hold is 'inaccurate'.  Happy to invite anyone interested to speak
to my members if they so wish.  Until then I am afraid the view is held by
the BC.

In any case:

If the BC is inaccurate about the benefits to its members then what of the
benefit/cost reductions to Registries?

Also we are far far away from the IRT - the tapestry has been shredded -
thus, there is no comparison to the recommendations of the IRT and what we
have today.  In any case the STI is not subject to the IRT - nor are any of
the SGs/Constituencies bound by it.

With regard to circumvention - If the Clearinghouse is supposed to be an RPM
or remedy to defensive registrations then it fails since registrants would
just wait until launch.  A prospective TM Holder would not see any benefit
in that especially since the IP Claims notice is nothing more than a notice
-which is available from current watch notices- what protection does it
provide?

Sincerely,

Zahid Jamil

Barrister-at-law

Jamil & Jamil

Barristers-at-law

219-221 Central Hotel Annexe

Merewether Road, Karachi. Pakistan

Cell: +923008238230

Tel: +92 21 5680760 / 5685276 / 5655025

Fax: +92 21 5655026

 <http://www.jamilandjamil.com/> www.jamilandjamil.com

Notice / Disclaimer

This message contains confidential information and its contents are being
communicated only for the intended recipients . If you are not the intended
recipient you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail.
Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this
message by mistake and delete it from your system. The contents above may
contain/are the intellectual property of Jamil & Jamil, Barristers-at-Law,
and constitute privileged information protected by attorney client
privilege. The reproduction, publication, use, amendment, modification of
any kind whatsoever of any part or parts (including photocopying or storing
it in any medium by electronic means whether or not transiently or
incidentally or some other use of this communication) without prior written
permission and consent of Jamil & Jamil is prohibited.