ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-thickwhois-dt]

RE: [gnso-thickwhois-dt] weekly status report

  • To: "Gnso-thickwhois-dt@xxxxxxxxx PDP DT" <Gnso-thickwhois-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-thickwhois-dt] weekly status report
  • From: "Drazek, Keith" <kdrazek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2012 16:48:42 +0000

Tim raises an important point, including the question of whether registries or
registrars are authoritative for Whois data.

I have concerns about a registry being authoritative for Whois data when it has
no direct connection to the registrant. As discussed on our last call, the
registry receives Whois data from the Registrar, not from the registrant. As
such, the registry has no way of independently confirming/verifying/validating
that the data is accurate. I think this distinction becomes more of an issue if
there’s a future requirement for validation or verification of registrant Whois
data, as requested by the GAC.

Ultimately, having a Thick Whois database at the registry level only
centralizes the data…it doesn’t make it any more accurate, validated, verified,
etc. since registries simply accept what is submitted by the registrars.

I understand that some of the existing thick registries may already be
authoritative for their TLD’s Whois data, so perhaps we can benefit from their
experience.

This issue may or may not fit into the draft charter, but it’s probably worth
discussing further on our next call.

Thanks, Keith

Keith Drazek
Director of Policy