ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-thickwhois-dt]

Re: [gnso-thickwhois-dt] a modest amendment to our charter point on "privacy and data protection"

  • To: "Gnso-thickwhois-dt@xxxxxxxxx DT" <Gnso-thickwhois-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-thickwhois-dt] a modest amendment to our charter point on "privacy and data protection"
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2012 23:40:30 -0400

Hi,

I must say that I fund it terribly depressing and sad that we are rushing to
try an impose new violations on people rights, beyond what we are currently
doing with privacy rights in Europe,  without even being wiling to discuss the
impact Whois and especially thick Whois has on people's rights.  This is
something which i predict will give ICANN yet another black eye in the world's
press.  Our consistent fear and avoidance of any consideration of human rights
does not serve us well and will hurt ICANN in the end.

And at this point we will not be able to claim that we violate rights
accidentally, because we are refusing to even countenance an attempt to
understand the harm we do.

avri