ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-thickwhoispdp-wg]

RE: [gnso-thickwhoispdp-wg] Dangers and risks of thick Whois

  • To: "Balleste, Roy" <rballeste@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-thickwhoispdp-wg] Dangers and risks of thick Whois
  • From: Bob Bruen <bruen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 11:09:39 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

There are more issues here, for example, there is a difference between an individual and an organization. which brings in money (selling or donating or whatever).

All such organizations are already listed in various government agencies (such as tax collections, corporations - profit and nonprofit, licenses, etc). There is no need to grant special privacy rights to them and thus thick whois is not a real problem.

Individuals are a different story and we all know that different countries have different rules. If the original designation of .com had been only given to businesses, as was intended, this would not be an issue. Perhaps individuals who want more privacy should move out of .com to somewhere else. Or perhaps some designation for an individual using .com could be arranged.

Individuals can still be anonymous, but the domain owner should not be (IMHO).

whois was originally supposed to complete for everyone to see, access has been cut back over the years with the creation of the thin whois and other measures, so now it is an issue. It will take some doing to unwind it all and fix it.

                --bob