ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-thickwhoispdp-wg]

Re: [gnso-thickwhoispdp-wg] Dangers and risks of thick Whois

  • To: Evan Leibovitch <evan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-thickwhoispdp-wg] Dangers and risks of thick Whois
  • From: Volker Greimann <vgreimann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 18:26:57 +0100

Hi Evan,

On 29 January 2013 11:19, Don Blumenthal <dblumenthal@xxxxxxx <mailto:dblumenthal@xxxxxxx>> wrote:

    I’ve read and heard many times that individuals should be able to
    have domain names and still maintain their privacy.

I agree with this basic premise.

That's one opinion. Another, said in a previous post by Bob Bruen with which I agree, says:

/"Individuals can still be anonymous, but the domain owner should not be (IMHO)"./

    Does your site setup protect bloggers any better than
    privacy/proxy services would if they owned domains?

The setup gives the bloggers as much privacy as they want. They have psudonyms that identify them for repeated comments. They can be contacted by visitors to the site without the visitors knowing their email addresses. And yet, if we were served with a Canadian court order to divulge we would.

My point, though, is not that my setup is superior -- rather, its mere existence as a counter-example demonstrates that private domain name ownership is not a necessary to protect personal freedom of speech. ICANN conventional wisdom that I have witnessed often assumes that the two must be linked.

So essentially you (and Bob) are saying a blogger that operates his blog under his own domain name may not protect his own privacy? I believe strongly that the right to personal data privacy does not end with the ownership of a domain name. Sure, a blogger may opt for a blogging service, but most will want their own sites and build their own brands instead of strengthening someone elses.

Best,

Volker