ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-thickwhoispdp-wg]

Re: [gnso-thickwhoispdp-wg] Dangers and risks of thick Whois

  • To: Thick Whois <gnso-thickwhoispdp-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-thickwhoispdp-wg] Dangers and risks of thick Whois
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 09:37:35 -0800

Evan,

Is your point that if people want privacy then they should not get domain
names?

I am sorry I was not at this morning's meeting. Will listen to call and comment
further.

The main point is that moving from thin to thick changes the jurisdiction under
which existing registrant for old gTLD are governed.  Thus individuals, and
associations of endangered individuals (the users Evan refers  to), would be
forced to switch from an enlightened privacy scheme such as exists in many
european countries, especially e.g. the Netherlands, to the relatively privacy
free rules of the US.

This is also the unfortunate situation that has been forced, without benefit
of a legitimate policy process, on all new gTLDs.

avri