ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-thickwhoispdp-wg]

Re: [gnso-thickwhoispdp-wg] new pictures

  • To: "Mike O'Connor" <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>, Thick Whois WG <gnso-thickwhoispdp-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-thickwhoispdp-wg] new pictures
  • From: Don Blumenthal <dblumenthal@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2013 13:56:25 -0500

Nice job. The last one on stakeholders in particular is useful for making sure
we consider the range of interested parties.

I would rewrite the Risk Assessment Framework slide. I still like the idea of
taking a general RA approach mentally. However, I'm afraid that tackling it
formally is complicating the discussions and introducing terms that don't work
for what we are talking about, at least without spending a lot of time
explaining or refining the slide. It also doesn't factor the legal questions
we've raised, unless a data protection law conflict is covered by adversarial
or non-adversarial threat event. I could see either one. :)

The question for me basically is:

Does requiring a move from a thin to a thick registry raise issues concerning
1) data loss through hack or inadvertent disclosure or 2) clashes with data
protection laws? Both questions need to be considered during transfer and when
the data is in the registry's Whois.

Don