ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-thickwhoispdp-wg]

Re: [gnso-thickwhoispdp-wg] A way forward?

  • To: Thick Whois WG <gnso-thickwhoispdp-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-thickwhoispdp-wg] A way forward?
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2013 13:09:47 -0400

Hi,

This seems to leave out the key point of possible issues with the transition
from one jurisdiction to another and omits the broad legal analysis by
respected international privacy jurists on the cross border implications for
privacy of such a transition by the majority of the world's gTLD registrants.

To answer Alan's question:  We know that national and international law and
norms on privacy have changed since the time of the .org transition.  The issue
of registrant rights and Registrar/Registry/ICANN liability in the transition
of millions of international gTLD registrants from one legal privacy regime to
another are not adequately understood by the ICANN community at this point in
time,.  The possible effects on registrant rights needs to be understood in
order to make sure that any risks involved can be appropriately mitigated and
registrant's privacy can be properly protected.

Otherwise it seems fine to me.

avri