ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-thickwhoispdp-wg]

[gnso-thickwhoispdp-wg] MP3 THICK WHOIS - Tuesday 15 October 2013

  • To: "gnso-thickwhoispdp-wg@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-thickwhoispdp-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-thickwhoispdp-wg] MP3 THICK WHOIS - Tuesday 15 October 2013
  • From: Nathalie Peregrine <nathalie.peregrine@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2013 10:23:33 -0700

Dear All,

The next  Thick Whois PDP Working Group call will be held on Tuesday 22 October
2013 at 1400 UTC.

Please find the MP3 recording of the Thick Whois PDP Working Group call held on
Tuesday 15 October 2013 at 14:00 UTC at:

http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-thick-whois-20131015-en.mp3

On page:
http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/#<http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/#<http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/#<http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/#mars>apr>oct

Calendar page:
http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/

Attendees:
Amr Elsadr - NCSG
Steve Metalitz - IPC
Mikey O'Connor - ISPCP
Roy Balleste - NCUC
Chris George - IPC
Marc Anderson - RySG
Avri Doria - NCSG
Tim Ruiz - RrSG
Alan Greenberg - ALAC
Susan Prosser - RrSG
Don Blumenthal - RySG
Marie-Laure Lemineur - NPOC

Apology :
Carolyn Hoover - RySG

ICANN staff:
Marika Konings
Lars Hoffmann
Berry Cobb
Nathalie Peregrine

Mailing list archives:
http://forum.icann.org/lists/gnso-thickwhoispdp-wg/

Wiki page:
https://community.icann.org/x/whgQAg

Thank you.
Kind regards,
Nathalie Peregrine
For GNSO Secretariat

Adobe Chat Transcript for 15 October 2013:

  Marika Konings:Welcome to the Thick Whois WG Meeting of 15 October 2013

  Amr Elsadr:Hello all. Dialling in now.

  Don Blumenthal:Furious already? We haven't even started

  Amr Elsadr:Just joined the call.

  Volker Greimann:nice, we now have to accept behavioral standards before
logging in!

  Amr Elsadr:Is the notice for standards of behaviour specially posted for this
WG??!! :)

  Mike O'Connor:lol

  Mike O'Connor:doubt it

  Volker Greimann:we fight hard and party harder

  Mike O'Connor:right on!

  Marika Konings:Made me wonder as well, but I had the same notice when I
logged in for a webinar earlier today ;-)

  Nathalie  Peregrine:Susan Prosser is also noted for attendance purposes

  Nathalie  Peregrine:Roy Balleste has joined the call

  Nathalie  Peregrine:As has Tim Ruiz

  Amr Elsadr:I know. Apologies about that.

  Marika Konings:@Alan - yes, there is a requirement for the Board to notify
the GAC if they are considering policy recommendations that may have an impact
on public policy (which in practice means they are notified of any policy
recommendations that go to the Board as the GAC is responsible for making the
determination of whether it impacts public policy).

  steve metalitz:Agree with Tim and Alan re using Marika's suggestion.

  Chris George:+ 1 Markia's suggestion

  Alan Greenberg:Message to EWG also indicates difficulty.

  Nathalie  Peregrine:Don is not on the audio bridge

  Don Blumenthal:I think my mic is back.

  Avri Doria:Allof Mariak's recommendation Plus external legal review would be
ok.

  Roy Balleste:+1 Avri we agree with Marika, but with/plus external review

  Tim Ruiz:IMHO, Marika's suggestion allows for ample opportunity for anyone
with further concerns to get those concerns raised during implementation and
during the comment period. I think this is good since we clearly cannot agree
on how we do it or if we should do it here and now.

  steve metalitz:ICANN deals with governments through GAC representatives.

  Marika Konings:Also forgot to mention that the EWG legal memo specifically
addresses transition of data

  Tim Ruiz:My concern is that if we continue to insist and succeed in a legal
review at this point,  it will bet glossed over and that will be the end of it.
 Marika's suggestion allows for a broader approach to get included.

  Amr Elsadr:@Don..., that is exactly what I was hoping for during the legal
review hand-in-hand with implementation.

  Roy Balleste:+1Amr; Don

  Avri Doria:Is Alan comparing privacy concerns to loch ness?

  Roy Balleste:Privacy Protection is a hypothetical?

  Don Blumenthal:Nobody is looking for a guarantee.

  Marika Konings:@Avri - I think Alan refers to privacy issues in relation to
the transition from thin to thick, not Whois in general

  Roy Balleste:+1Don

  Avri Doria:no guarantee, i am willing to accept you level of comfort post
consulting with experts.

  Roy Balleste:+1Avri

  Marika Konings:@Avri, Roy - how about asking those experts to provide input
to the public comment forum?

  Avri Doria:to the implementation team mechanisms you have proposed.

  Don Blumenthal:@Marika. As Carlton said, the audience for the memo found it
lacking.

  Alan Greenberg:Avri, I was not comparing Whois or thick whois to the loch
ness monster. I was referingto the impossibility of definitively prooving the
non-existance of anything.

  Amr Elsadr:@Marika..., your concern seems pretty justifiable. Clearer
language is called for regarding expectations on what we are referring to as a
legal review.

  Avri Doria:we can't prove global warming either, that is a red herring.

  Alan Greenberg:But for global warming, there are PLENTY if indications of a
problem. I am asking for similar indications here.

  Avri Doria:Alna,not enough to make me beleive.

  Amr Elsadr:@Volker..., thanks. That's what I suspected.

  steve metalitz:Agree with Tim. Marika's is the most practical approach.

  Amr Elsadr:@Tim..., I agree with you in principle. I also understand Marika's
concern, which I feel is justified. We should encourage clearer and more
precise recommendations.

  Amr Elsadr:Last week..., I asked what a legal review is exactly!! :)

  Alan Greenberg:Mikey, please make sure to add "privacy denyer" to my mindmap

  Marika Konings:@Amr - I have no problem with adding the words legal review as
long as it aligns with what I've explained is the role of the GCs office (and
the example question identified in the draft language). If it is something
broader than that, the WG should be more specific about that is meant or what
is expected.

  Amr Elsadr:@Marika..., I get it. I also agree.

  Roy Balleste:+1 Amr; Marika I think we are getting close.

  Tim Ruiz:How about - legal review of applicable privacy law? Just shooting
from thehip.

  Marika Konings:@Tim, Avri - my understanding was that this was limited to any
privacy considerations in relation to the transition of data? Your language
shounds much broader .....

  Tim Ruiz:@Marika, got it. How about - legal review of law applicable to the
transition of data - or something like that.

  steve metalitz:As ntoed in my e-mail I did not think Alan's wording was the
right approach.

  Avri Doria:the problem statement can be written

  Marika Konings:@Tim - that sounds better, and as said, it seems that some of
that has already been covered in the EWG review.

  Tim Ruiz:@Marika, add - ...that has not already been considered by the EWG?

  Don Blumenthal:I agree about excellent progress over the last few days and
today. Have to drop.

  Amr Elsadr:Bye Don.

  Avri Doria:and t make sure the implementation matches the policy intent

  Avri Doria:i will be at IGF next week and wil miss this meeting.  Will follow
the list.

  Amr Elsadr:Yes. Sure.

  Roy Balleste:Sounds good Marika.

  Amr Elsadr:Thanks everyone.