ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-travel-dt]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Re: [Fwd: Re: [gnso-travel-dt] Travel drafting team mailing list open]

• To: gnso-travel-dt@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: [gnso-travel-dt] Travel drafting team mailing list open]
  • Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2008 16:00:51 -0400

On 9 Oct 2008, at 12:32, Tim Ruiz wrote:

If we have to resort to random selection or giggle tests, then we have
no business accepting the funds.

I personally see no relation between the utility of a random method of selecting after the constituencies are determined their priorities and the notion of meriting support for council member travel.

Ken's ideas are the best way
forward, or at least a good start,

Can you explain how his ideas would work in a way that was assuredly unbiased and objective?

Some questions that immediately occur to me:

How would you eliminate the ability of someone to put pressure on one of those selected for this independent committee? What does it mean for there to be an independent committee within ICANN? Can members of GNSO constituencies serve on this independent committee? How are these committee members chosen? Is their work transparent?

As for getting beyond the giggle test in determining need, how does one do that. What sort of verification of someone's need will be required? The get a loan for my daughter's college i had to prove need and todo so had to fill out the FAFSA ( see http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/before012.htm for a sample worksheet). Are you suggesting something similar. If not, how do you prove need?

Or, how do we define need? If I were a millionaire, but had no employer to send me would I be in need of support? If I have an employer, but they are in bankruptcy proceedings, do I have need?

I believe these and many other similar questions would need to be answered for there to be an objective set of criteria that could not be gamed or be subjected to influence.

a.

note: for those who may not know the giggle test. Basically someone says "I have need", and if they can say it without most people starting to giggle, then that need statement i accepted.

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy