ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Vertical Integration PDP Charter DT

  • To: Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Vertical Integration PDP Charter DT
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 16:49:15 -0500

Hi,

Of course how this gets done can be your prerogative as chair of the council.

I would like, however, to comment on a few things:

- what you quote is practice, i.e a DT taking months to come with a charter
then putting it to the council for a vote.  Yes, it is a facsimile of the
committee of the whole deciding that it will solve the problem by chartering a
WG.  And the new processes for WG that are about to go to public review do
require a chartering organization to approve a charter - which i think makes
sense.  There is, however, nothing that says the work cannot begin in parallel
with all of these processes, so I appreciate you being wiling to put out the
call for volunteers to the WG early.  Not sure why that has to wait for the
council however, since the council did already decide there would be a WG, just
not what its charter would be.  So a call for WG members can go out sooner I
would think.

- While I know what a WG needs a liaison, i did not know that a DT which is
short lived needed one too.  Of course the council needs to pick one out for
the WG.  My hope is that it is someone who is interested in the subject while
not being someone who is a champion for a particular perspective.  Likewise
with a chair, isn't it the WG that needs a chair?  DTs need chair's too?  And
are they same as the WG chairs - though I guess not, since the WG pick their
chairs as opposed to having someone just volunteer.

- As the next council meeting is on 18 Feb. it means one needs a motion on a
charter by the 11th.  With only 16 weeks in order to produce a report, I do not
understand why we are already declaring that we cannot make that meeting.  If
we have to wait for the following meeting we need to wait until the Nairobi
meeting, which means we will have already blown 6 of the 16 weeks. Do we really
need more then a week to develop a charter?

As far as I can tell, the council motion already contains the tasks to be
completed by the WG, though I guess some believe it needs some disambiguation
and further elucidation.  I think it is clear enough to get work started, but
in any case we should be able to disambiguate the problem to be solved quickly.
 And further disambiguation will happen during the course of the WG with
question back to the council as managers if necessary.

So what we really need is a WG process and should be able to either use the one
other groups have been using or the draft the PPSG WGWT is about to release.
And then we need a set of milestones.  I do not understand why this cannot  be
done in a few days.  If we want to meet the 16 week deadline given by the
council, we need to find a way to get things done as apposed to understanding
why we can get them done.

But as I say, your call.

a.