ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] First stab at objectives and a definition of VI

  • To: Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] First stab at objectives and a definition of VI
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 08:13:58 -0500

Hi,

I would like to caution against strict text book definitions of Vertical
Integration.  I think we have to account for similar arrangement that allow
similar degree of exclusively.  For example, various definitions of Affiliation
between Registrars and Registries and some forms of cross ownership could have
similar effects as text book 'single corporate structure' Vertical Integration.
 I think within the ICANN context of the term and restrictions on vertical
Integration have to be extended beyond the strict text book definitions and we
have to look at these related situations.

Part of the information gathering work at the beginning of the WG could include
an investigation of these related situations.   At least that is how I was
viewing it.

BTW: I noticed that Vertical Integration was on the Board's agenda for the
meeting today.  Any updates that contribute to this effort?

a.