ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Objective 5

  • To: <briancute@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Objective 5
  • From: Stéphane Van Gelder <stephane.vangelder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 15:33:55 +0100

Thanks Brian,

I know you worked hard to get feedback from your group to us, so thanks for
those efforts.

As it stands, we have support for version 1 of Obj 5 (the so-called Milton-Avri
version) from a numerical majority of the groups represented on this DT: the
NCSG, the RrSG and the RySG. The IPC and the BC have indicated they support the
other version.

I am unwilling, at this stage, to open up a whole new discussion on voting
thresholds and the way to best represent this split. Also, I am keen not to go
over the deadline this group has to go back to Council with a charter proposal
(today).

As such, I have asked Margie to draw up a final version of the charter using
version 1 of objective 5 but with a footnote listing version 2 and explaining
that the group did not reach consensus on this objective, but that there was a
numerical majority for it with support from the NCSG, RrSG and RySG while the
BC and the IPC supported the other version.

Although this does mean the DT is going back to the Council with a charter that
is not completely final, I do not see any other way of moving ahead within our
set deadlines, whilst still making sure the various views of DT members are
represented. I will apologize to the Council on behalf of the DT about not
delivering a completely finalised charter and explain what I have just
explained here.

As there will be Council discussion on this, I would encourage you to brief
your councillors so that they may highlight the reasons why your groups went
for whatever version of Obj 5 they choose when the Council comes to open up
discussion on this item.

I want to thank you all for the work we have been able to do together. I hope
you have found my participation to be helpful to the group and as neutral as
the coordinator position requires.

Stéphane