ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Proposed Agenda Item (was RE: Draft agenda for the VI WG call next week)

  • To: "Neuman, Jeff" <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Proposed Agenda Item (was RE: Draft agenda for the VI WG call next week)
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 16:18:32 -0400

Jeff,

I sent questions to Kurt, who forwarded them to JJ. They are expecting
more questions.

In addition to the several policy direction advocacy statements
offered (in chronological order) by {Jon Nevett, Alexa Raad and
yourself, Richard Tindal, myself} and those of the CRAI and subsequent
economist consultants to Staff, it would be useful to put together,
for want of a better term, a counter-advocacy statement.

As the meaning of Resolution #5 is "clarified", some of the
counter-advocacy details may drop out, e.g., it might not mean 1 share
of Afilias, 1 share of Verisign and 1 share of NeuStar is enough to
knock out all of the registry operators, and all of the registrars,
but the plain final (and fairly ugly to my reading) meaning of #5 has
to worked out -- if only so the Board are made aware that they've
elevated some policy goal at the expense of others, and those costs or
policy losses have to be spelled out.

So I concur that #5 is hardly clear, and I also concur that Staff
should not be offered nothing contributory to the interpretation of #5.

Eric Brunner-Williams
CTO, CORE Internet Council of Registrars