ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Re: Draft agenda for the VI WG call next week

  • To: Milton L Mueller <mueller@xxxxxxx>, "'richardtindal@xxxxxx'" <richardtindal@xxxxxx>, "'icann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <icann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Re: Draft agenda for the VI WG call next week
  • From: "Neuman, Jeff" <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2010 20:28:27 -0400

When the registries, certain registrars, and a number of other parties read the
definitions proposed by the drafting team (including the "relationship of VI to
ownership", we took it to mean that if something did not constitute "vertical
integration", you all were arguing that it was therefore outside the scope of
the PDP.  In other words, it read to us like a value judgment that if a
registry and registrar were co-owned, but granted equal access and
non-discriminatory treatment to the registrars, this was to be allowed by
ICANN, and therefore not for the Work Group to analyze.  But it appears from
your note below that is not what you are saying.

If what you are saying is that it just means it doesn’t fit into your
definition of "vertical integration", but all of that is still in scope of this
group to look at, then perhaps we are in violent agreement.  I believe the
group needs to figure out what its objectives are - namely, are we doing what
we are doing to promote innovation, increase competition, etc.?  If the answer
is yes, then we need to (1) look at safeguards to make sure there are no harms
to consumers, and (2) examine the whole notion of equal non-discriminatory
access to registrars as this may run completely counter to the objectives.  In
other words, if there is a change to policy to allow vertical integration,
co-ownership of registries/registrars, or indirect integration (through
contract or otherwise), or whatever else we want to call it, then we need to
examine changes to the policy of equal non-discriminatory access to registrars.

I look forward to the debate.

Thanks!

Jeffrey J. Neuman

The information contained in this e-mail message is intended only for the use
of the recipient(s) named above and may contain confidential and/or privileged
information. If you are not the intended recipient you have received this
e-mail message in error and any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying
in error, please notify us immediately and delete the original message.