ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

[gnso-vi-feb10] RE: Resending Questions to ask the Board

  • To: "Neuman, Jeff" <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx>, "'Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx'" <Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-vi-feb10] RE: Resending Questions to ask the Board
  • From: Milton L Mueller <mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 11:53:07 -0400

Jeff,
I think your questions are excellent ones, but frankly I don't think we need to
worry about having the Board answer them. It is our job to make the policy, and
not the Board's. As I understand it, the Board resolution was intended to pave
the way for GNSO policy making in this area by "establishing a baseline
approach to registry-registrar separation for the new gTLD process to move
ahead."

To wit:

Whereas, the GNSO is in an active policy development process on the issue of
Vertical Integration, and the Board does not want to create an environment in
which it would be difficult to later harmonize the new gTLD marketplace with
the GNSO policy result; and

Whereas, it is important to establish a baseline approach to registry-registrar
separation for the new gTLD process to move ahead.
This WG should not sit and wait for oracular pronouncements from the Board as
if they had any direct bearing on what we determine to be the appropriate
policy, unless there are legal or by-law constraints involved.

--MM