ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Idea of Phasing

  • To: Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Idea of Phasing
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 11:15:44 -0300
On 24 Mar 2010, at 10:59, Neuman, Jeff wrote:

> This would allow the small communities (like the ones Eric has been
> advocating for) and entities desiring to use TLDs for their own internal
> purposes to be free to be a registrar, not use registrars, etc.

I very much agree with this idea with one caveat, the registrants of these TLDs
should still have the consumer rights, however few that may or may not be, that
the RAA guarantees.

On 24 Mar 2010, at 11:03, Tim Ruiz wrote:

> So giving community designated TLDs a blanket exception on VI while
> everyone else must operate under different rules only creates an
> opportunity for gaming.

I worry that 'gaming' is achieving the mantra status of 'terrorism' and
'pedophilia', i.e a term that is used a trump card in any argument.

This is ICANN, and everything will be gamed by someone sooner or later.  We
must accept that.

What we need is a sufficiently reasonable and well formed set of policy
recommendations, a well thought implementation and enforcement that deals with
the gaming.

Our current job is the first one.  I see no reason to de-facto equate
communities with gaming.

a.

a.