ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Idea of Phasing

  • To: "Eric Brunner-Williams" <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Idea of Phasing
  • From: "Tim Ruiz" <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 07:03:35 -0700

Keep in mind tat there are no specific requirements that must be met to
be designated as a community TLD. It is a self selection thing. The only
time any criteria is applied to such a claim is if there is contention
for a string AND a self-designated community applicant chooses
comparative review. Staff has confirmed that more than once.

So giving community designated TLDs a blanket exception on VI while
everyone else must operate under different rules only creates an
opportunity for gaming.

Tim