ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Baseline and next steps

  • To: <mike.silber@xxxxxxxxx>, <tbarrett@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Baseline and next steps
  • From: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 10:53:38 -0400

Mike,

I would like to add two points of clarification regarding this
statement: "If this WG cannot come to some conclusions within the time
periods requested, the Board will ask staff to put detail to the
resolution and you will be faced with a top town proposal because the
bottom-up consensus based process has failed.".

First of all, I do not believe that it is accurate to conclude in
general that "the bottom-up consensus based process has failed" just
because no consensus position is reached.  There have been in the past
and will be in future PDPs that do not result in consensus policy
recommendations.  The fact may be that there is no consensus and hence
it may be better to let market mechanisms work freely instead of
implementing policy; that itself can be a successful outcome of a PDP
and should not necessarily be viewed as a failure.

Secondly, in order to avoid delays in the new gTLD process, the GNSO has
a very short window to attempt to reach consensus on a very complex
issue. If no consensus position is reached in the short time available,
that may be because of inadequate time and level of complexity rather
than a failure of the process.

That said, I support your effort to come up with a workable approach to
effectively deal with the complexity and limited time frame.

Chuck