ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

[gnso-vi-feb10] Private TLDs

  • To: "'Tim Ruiz'" <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-vi-feb10] Private TLDs
  • From: Milton L Mueller <mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 10:51:20 -0400

> I agree for the most part. But I would add regarding brand or TM TLDs
> that it depends on intended use. Strict internal use only is one thing
> as contemplated by the single entity concept (the registry operator is
> also the only registrant). But as soon as we get beyond that there are
> other considerations, especially when you consider how
> certain existing gTLDs with restrictions have been morphed over time.

Tim,
Yes, the potential for private TLDs to morph into something else is a very
serious regulatory issue. It is similar in form to the liberalization of
private networks and the terms and conditions governing their interconnection
with the public switched telecom network inthe late '70s and '80s. PSTN
carriers paid a whole different set of fees and had a certain number of
obligations that private networks didn't. The problem was when private nets
started reselling their capacity and interconnecting to the PSTN. In most ways
this was a tremendous boon to consumers, and to the development of the telecom
industry, as it introduced new investment in faciltiies and, through arbitrage,
pushed long distance prices down fast. On the other hand this completely
undermined the economic and regulatory assumptions on which the telecom system
was based.

The analogy is strong but can only be taken so far. In DNS, we need to find a
way to allow private-label TLDs that is neither a way for public TLDs to sneak
in under a more liberal form of regulation or less fees, nor a form of
protecting public TLDs from legitimate forms of competition and self-provision.

Milton Mueller
Professor, Syracuse University School of Information Studies
XS4All Professor, Delft University of Technology
Internet Governance Project:
http://internetgovernance.org