ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

[gnso-vi-feb10] Baseline and next steps

  • To: <Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-vi-feb10] Baseline and next steps
  • From: "Thomas Barrett - EnCirca" <tbarrett@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 22:19:13 -0400

I think the first task is to agree on what we have if we do nothing.  This
will be referred to as the "Baseline" scenario.

The ICANN Board already defined the Baseline scenario on March 12.

"Resolved (2010.03.12.17), within the context of the new gTLD process, there
will be strict separation of entities offering registry services and those
acting as registrars. No co-ownership will be allowed."

Let's spend some time further refining the Board's Baseline for Vertical
Integration.  Here are the steps I would propose.
===

1. define the terms contained in the Baseline statement:
Let's not assume the meaning of any terms are obvious.

ICANN has already defined "Vertical Integration", "Cross-Ownership" and
"Minority Interest".  All should review these carefully.

Let's also define these:

A. "strict separation"
B. "entities"
C. "registry services"
D. "registrars"
E. "co-ownership"
F. "controlling ownership" (from definition of "cross-ownership")
G.  What other terms should be defined?

===

2. Identify and address issues, ambiguities, etc. related solely to the
Baseline Definition:

Jeff's list of questions is a good start.  I would like to add a few more:

A. How many registrations is a new TLD registry allowed to register without
using a registrar?

B. Equivalent Access: Are new TLD registries required to treat all
registrars equally?

C. Non-discriminatory access: Can new TLD registries decline to use certain
registrars?

D. What other questions should be added?

===

Once we address the questions listed in these two steps, then we can start
to identify areas of the Baseline definition that people would like to
change.  Again, the process would be to compile a list of desired changes
and address each one.

Best regards,

Tom Barrett
EnCirca