ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Idea of Phasing

  • To: "Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx" <Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Idea of Phasing
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 06:43:36 +0100

On 3/24/10 12:50 AM, Milton L Mueller wrote:

> ... based on ... today's call, ... two board members agree with me.

This assumes that the Board is a well-informed body, consciously
originating its utterances. It is possible that the Board is not, and
its utterances are the works of either its Chair, who apparently can't
hold a view (on unilateral contract modification) from one meeting to
the next, or Counsel, whether internal (JJ) or external (Joe Sims),
pursuing unrelated goals.

On 3/24/10 12:32 AM, Richard Tindal wrote:

> ... new registry operators ... would foster ... greater competition.

Both Verisign and applicants with no history of competition with
Verisign (as registry, and as divested registrar) will be
beneficiaries of a policy which excludes applicants with such a history.

I appreciate that those focused on 2010 may not intend to apply also
in 2012 (in the comedic fiction that there is a 2010 round, and a next
round two years later), but as a service organization CORE has
participated in every round (and redelegation attempt) ICANN has held.

As an iterative scheme, allowing all market entrants one period of
competition only seems ... unique. And very anti-competitive.

Eric