ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Idea of Phasing

  • To: "Neuman, Jeff" <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx>, Roberto Gaetano <roberto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Idea of Phasing
  • From: Milton L Mueller <mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 19:50:04 -0400

Jeff,
A known flaw of consensus policy making is that any interest group happy with
the status quo has absolute blocking power over any deviation from the status
quo. As long as they can deliberately hold up consensus they get exactly what
they want.

By asking for detailed answers from the Board about the meaning of "no
co-ownership" are you not asking the board to make a policy for us, and then
you'll decide whether to play with the rest of us depending on whether you like
what they produce?

Suppose you decide that you like their construction of what "no co-ownership"
means: there goes your incentive to negotiate with the rest of us!

If so, I would urge the Board _not_ to answer those questions. And based on
what we heard on today's call, it seems that at least two board members agree
with me.

As an alternative approach, I suggest that you grok the spirit of the board
resolution which is: solve this problem among yourselves or something none of
you like will happen. The board should retain the discretion to make that
"something none of us will like" as odoriferous as possible. Thus it should not
answer your questions. I suspect they are smart enough to know that.

--MM