ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Idea of Phasing

  • To: "Eric Brunner-Williams" <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Idea of Phasing
  • From: "Tim Ruiz" <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 08:29:09 -0700

If the only difference between the way self-designated community TLDs
and other TLDs are treated is the self-imposed restrictions on
registrations, then what's currently in the guidebook may be fine. But
if community TLDs get any other special consideration in their contracts
or otherwise, then all such applications *must* go through an analysis
similar to the comparative evaluation to determine that they are indeed
community based. That's all I am saying.

Right now, I could apply for .fun and claim community of funeral service
providers and users. I could describe restrictions on registrations as
requiring registrants to be funeral directors, casket manufacturers, and
families of deceased. If there is no other applicant for .fun, then no
evaluation of my claims are made under the current guidebook rules. My
contract would be the same as other gTLDs except it would include my
registration restrictions.

That may be an extreme example, but you get the idea. That may not be a
big deal if there are no other special consideration given to community
TLDs, but if there is then additional review of those applicants should
be done.

Tim