ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Private TLDs

  • To: <jarkko.ruuska@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Private TLDs
  • From: Stéphane Van Gelder <stephane.vangelder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 11:25:35 +0100

Le 25 mars 2010 à 09:05, <jarkko.ruuska@xxxxxxxxx> a écrit :

> Milton, Tim,
>
> Thanks for bringing this private/brand/single registrant issue on the table.
> I know it seems like a small issue compared to the overall discussion, but it
> still needs to be addressed.

(SVG) Very true.

> I think most of us recognize that brand TLDs should not have to use
> registrars. It just doesn’t make any sense for brand TLDs to buy their own
> internal names from some 3rd party.
> As Milton stated the problem is how to define this kind of TLD in way that
> prohibits gaming and unfair competition.
>
> The way I see it, the solution is simple. I think brand TLDs should not be
> allowed to sell any names outside their internal usage. Names could probably
> be allowed to be given to business partners though. The brand TLD should also
> be non-transferrable or at least that would require special permission from
> ICANN. If the brand owner goes bankrupt TLD would be taken down in a
> controlled way and not transferred to anyone else.

(SVG) This is a good idea. But how to ensure that brand TLDs don't sell names
to outside parties? One way could be to implement a contract whereby the TLD
operator has to be the owner of all the domain names registered within the TLD
in question. I also agree that it makes no sense to have brand TLDs transferred
in case of registry failure. As the registry is the brand owner, that TLD
should be taken down (if technically possible) in case of registry failure.

> In my opinion this approach would satisfy the needs of brand TLDs without
> promoting gaming or unfair competitive advantage.

(SVG) And has the added benefit of circumventing the registrar distribution
channel debate. If the brand TLD registry operator is not allowed to sell
names, allowing it not to use registrars does not contradict the basic GNSO
recommendation that new gTLDs should be distributed through ICANN accredited
registrars only, as the TLD in question is not being distributed at all.

Stéphane Van Gelder
Directeur Général / General manager
+33 1 48 01 83 51

INDOM Noms de domaine / Domain names
124-126, rue de Provence
75008 Paris
France
0820 77 7000 (Prix d'un appel local)
De l'étranger (calling from outside France): + 33 1 76 70 05 67
www.indom.com

Daily domain name industry news: www.domaines.info
Mon blog/My blog : www.stephanevangelder.com
Twitter : stephvg