ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Private TLDs

  • To: "<jarkko.ruuska@xxxxxxxxx> <jarkko.ruuska@xxxxxxxxx>" <jarkko.ruuska@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Private TLDs
  • From: "Michele Neylon :: Blacknight" <michele@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 11:00:05 +0000

On 25 Mar 2010, at 08:05, <jarkko.ruuska@xxxxxxxxx>
 <jarkko.ruuska@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Milton, Tim,
>
> Thanks for bringing this private/brand/single registrant issue on the table.
> I know it seems like a small issue compared to the overall discussion, but it
> still needs to be addressed.
>
> I think most of us recognize that brand TLDs should not have to use
> registrars. It just doesn’t make any sense for brand TLDs to buy their own
> internal names from some 3rd party.

I can see your point, but would you, as a brand owner, want to run the entire
technical backend for the registry side AND the registrar side?

Or would you outsource the functions to a single 3rd party?

> As Milton stated the problem is how to define this kind of TLD in way that
> prohibits gaming and unfair competition.
>
> The way I see it, the solution is simple. I think brand TLDs should not be
> allowed to sell any names outside their internal usage. Names could probably
> be allowed to be given to business partners though.

That could be problematic

It would make more sense in my mind that you (the brand) gave 3rd parties
"usage" of domains, but that you retained control/ownership of them

Regards

Michele

Mr Michele Neylon
Blacknight Solutions