ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] One Proposal

  • To: Jon Nevett <jon@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] One Proposal
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 12:21:31 +0100

Jon,

The numbers in the set of agreements, from 11.2% to 15%, are fine as
initial placeholders. Anywhere in this range allows applicants within
a cohort to form cooperative registrars, something not possible prior
to the (eventual) present round.

In the "help the small registries" toolkit, the alternative frequently
offered is some registrar requirement exception for some number of
domains. Figures for the exception range from the few thousands (from
existing sTLD registries) to the fifty thousands to one hundred
thousands, as you know.

This has a cognate, the exception has also been expressed as time
rather than as a number.

So, as an initial proposal, some number is a good starting point.

More problematic is the exception mechanism, as with the .mobi
example, the exception addresses what I think of as exit or failure
recapitalization.

We have to decide if an exception from some number is qualified by
some form of failure, giving rise to some necessity claim.

We have the registry, which holds some some number of equity in a
registrar, and at some point in time, the registry seeks to exercise
the hypothetical exception, and acquire another number, larger than
some number, of equity in the registrar. At some subsequent point in
time, the necessity claim for the hypothetical exception is no longer
true and a transition back to the initial equity participation is
initiated.

At this point in our process, it seems reasonable to separate the
concept of some number -- in the existing 11.2% to 15% range, plus or
minus, from exceptions, and their predicate conditions for initiating,
and for return from the exception to the some number range.

Do you mind if we start with "some number" and if it meets initial
community review, then explore the rationals for, and the kinds of
exceptions likely to meet the rationals?

Eric