ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Baseline and next steps

  • To: "'mike.silber@xxxxxxxxx'" <mike.silber@xxxxxxxxx>, "tbarrett@xxxxxxxxxxx" <tbarrett@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Baseline and next steps
  • From: Milton L Mueller <mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 09:39:18 -0400

Amen!

I guess I am having trouble understanding why Thomas B. and others are so
focused on reading the tea leaves of the board resolution. This is a PDP - a
policy development process. The task of a WG in a PDP is to MAKE policy. People
who are so focused on the "baseline" seem to be assuming that we cannot do
that, or will inevitably fail, and therefore must revert to the baseline. Stop
taking your eyes off the ball.

I am not known for my starry-eyed optimism about ICANN, but I certainly think
the collection of really knowledgable and well-motivated people in this group
can come to a reasonable agreement on a reasonable policy for the short term,
and phase out any longer term issues when we confront them. Registries and
registrars in particular both have a powerful common interest in the future
growth and development of the industry, and NCSG people at least also want the
industry to move forward in ways that promote diversity and competition.