ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Private TLDs

  • To: <michele@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Private TLDs
  • From: "jarkko.ruuska@xxxxxxxxx" <jarkko.ruuska@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 14:23:59 +0100

Michele, Avri,

On 25.3.2010 13.58, "ext Michele Neylon :: Blacknight" <michele@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

I can see your point, but would you, as a brand owner, want to run the entire
technical backend for the registry side AND the registrar side?
Or would you outsource the functions to a single 3rd party?

(JR) I would think that there could be variations to this as there will be in
the "open" TLDs as well. Some companies might want to run the registry by
themselves. On the other hand some companies might find it more sensible to
acquire an outsourced partner to run the service for them. It probably comes
down to the question about filling the ICANN application criteria concerning
the technical stability and security issues. Some companies might feel
confident that they possess the necessary knowledge and skills to run a
registry but others would feel better with an established 3rd party registry
operator backing them up.

Avri,

(JR) In my opinion it is ok for brand TLDs to give out names to consumers if
the names are very tightly connected to the brand owner's (online) services.
But also then there would be the question of unfair competition with "open "
TLDs.  However, we need to keep in mind that running a big TLD is a relatively
costly business, so I don't see many TLDs just giving names out just for fun.

BR,

JARKKO RUUSKA
Nokia Corporation
Compatibility and Industry Collaboration,  Tampere, Finland
Tel: +358 50 324 7507
E-Mail: jarkko.ruuska@xxxxxxxxx