ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Private TLDs

  • To: "jarkko.ruuska@xxxxxxxxx" <jarkko.ruuska@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Private TLDs
  • From: Stéphane Van Gelder <stephane.vangelder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 15:01:55 +0100

> Avri,
>
> (JR) In my opinion it is ok for brand TLDs to give out names to consumers if
> the names are very tightly connected to the brand owner’s (online) services.
> But also then there would be the question of unfair competition with “open “
> TLDs.  However, we need to keep in mind that running a big TLD is a
> relatively costly business, so I don’t see many TLDs just giving names out
> just for fun.

(SVG) I don't see how that can work. Either the brand TLD operator has to own
all of its domains and cannot distribute them to third parties (which doesn't
prevent the brand owner from leasing names out or entrusting them to others
BTW), and that way the registrar requirement may not be needed, or the brand
TLD operator is allowed to give or sell names to third parties and in that case
the playing field should be even with all other TLDs that do distribute names
and the TLD operator should have to work through ICANN registrars.

Thanks,

Stéphane Van Gelder
Directeur Général / General manager
+33 1 48 01 83 51

INDOM Noms de domaine / Domain names
124-126, rue de Provence
75008 Paris
France
0820 77 7000 (Prix d'un appel local)
De l'étranger (calling from outside France): + 33 1 76 70 05 67
www.indom.com

Daily domain name industry news: www.domaines.info
Mon blog/My blog : www.stephanevangelder.com
Twitter : stephvg