ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Private TLDs

  • To: Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Private TLDs
  • From: Antony Van Couvering <avc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 13:16:10 -0400

Apologies for having to ask this, but what is a brand?

If it's anyone with a trademark, then the obvious thing to do if you want to
avoid the registrar channel is get a trademark, "license" the names out (isn't
this the legal fiction anyway?), and avoid all ICANN fees and other pesky
restrictions....

Consider also a sports franchise (say the NBA) or an automobile manufacturer
(say BMW).  The NBA would want to provide each of its franchisees with a .nba
name, for instance lakers.nba.  They might also want to register/protect the
names of all the players, as well as provide names to authorized ticket
vendors, merchandise vendors, etc.  In the case of BMW, they might want to
issue a domain name to each authorized dealership, repair facility, or
authorized fan club.

It is just as silly to make them go to a registrar to do all of this stuff as
it would be for them to use a registrar just to give out emails.  Essentially,
a middleman with no added value.

Antony