ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Private TLDs

  • To: Stéphane Van Gelder <stephane.vangelder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Private TLDs
  • From: "Michele Neylon :: Blacknight" <michele@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 14:13:24 +0000

On 25 Mar 2010, at 14:01, Stéphane Van Gelder wrote:

>> Avri,
>>
>> (JR) In my opinion it is ok for brand TLDs to give out names to consumers if
>> the names are very tightly connected to the brand owner’s (online) services.
>> But also then there would be the question of unfair competition with “open “
>> TLDs.  However, we need to keep in mind that running a big TLD is a
>> relatively costly business, so I don’t see many TLDs just giving names out
>> just for fun.
>
> (SVG) I don't see how that can work. Either the brand TLD operator has to own
> all of its domains and cannot distribute them to third parties (which doesn't
> prevent the brand owner from leasing names out or entrusting them to others
> BTW), and that way the registrar requirement may not be needed, or the brand
> TLD operator is allowed to give or sell names to third parties and in that
> case the playing field should be even with all other TLDs that do distribute
> names and the TLD operator should have to work through ICANN registrars.

I'd agree with SVG

You can't have it both ways

Either you are the registrant of ALL domains under .brand or you aren't

If you aren't the registrant of ALL the domains (and I'm referring specifically
to the registrant) then you should be subject to the same "rules" as any other
TLD ..

You also can't change it around further down the line ie. you either adopt a
model or another - if you try to rejig it later then it would have to be seen
as a new application (I'm referring specifically to the sales distribution
channel)

Regards

Michele

Mr Michele Neylon