ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

[gnso-vi-feb10] Looking at this from the Registrars as Channel Perspective and that benefit...

  • To: Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [gnso-vi-feb10] Looking at this from the Registrars as Channel Perspective and that benefit...
  • From: Jothan Frakes <jothan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 10:27:57 -0700

Hi-

In our efforts within the VIWG, I have noticed and it has been brought to my
attention that we're looking at things through the prism angle of the
registry.

I am in no way expressing the Registrar Stakeholder perspective on this, nor
have I vetted this message with them.  I want only to aid the dialog within
this working group by taking a perspective of the registrar channel into
consideration in the process of our efforts.

For the benefit of the list activities, I would encourage people interested
in some of the things that a registrar might be taking into consideration in
the new TLD launch process
to view a presentation that I did in October of 2008 at the CENTR General
Assembly in Piza, Italy.

The presentation is from an aggregated applicant perspective and discussions
that had occurred in Paris at the 2008 meeting and takes into consideration
bullet points from conversations with many of the applicants and communities
seeking to apply for new TLDs.

Applicants (not to me confused with registries or registry service
providers) look to the registrars as a channel to reach a larger audience,
adoption, and ultimately natural use.  Registrars come in a variety of types
of services and business models, support a variety of languages, and offer
cultural and local advantages due to geographical diversity.

Slides 7-10 are related to 'Channel' and worth a look because they focus in
a little bit on those areas.
https://www.centr.org/main/lib/g1/4622-CTR.html (click download)

I'll caveat the slides to state that there was no DAG available at the time
the presentation was made, and that presentation predates the 2009 RAA and
any nuances that it contains which might have changed since would not be
reflected.

Still, the information contained in it might prove helpful for our
discussions, take what you like and leave the rest.

-jothan

Jothan Frakes
+1.206-355-0230 tel
+1.206-201-6881 fax