ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

[gnso-vi-feb10] 360 Degree Market Analysis with a focus on the consumer

  • To: "'Jothan Frakes'" <jothan@xxxxxxxxx>, <Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-vi-feb10] 360 Degree Market Analysis with a focus on the consumer
  • From: "Michael D. Palage" <michael@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 16:14:31 -0400

Jothan,

I think as a working group we need to undertake a 360 degree analysis of the
marketplace . Than being said I think the primary focus should be on what is
in the best interest of consumers.

Getting back to the examples used in the survey. I selected .COMCAST as an
hypothetical TLD because they are my current ISP of choice. I am generally
happy with the service that Comcast provides me, therefore why do I need to
interject another party between me and my ISP? While I would view this as a
nuisance, what would the impact/inconvenience  be on less sophisticated
users. In the PENDR Working Group I often used the benchmark of does this
proposed policy make this easier or more difficult for my mom to use the
Internet?

Another hypothetical omitted from the survey was that of a .LAW TLD.  As an
attorney I pay annual membership fees to the State Bar, it would be a lot
more convenient for me as a consumer to interact with them to ensure that
any additional whois elements necessary for my inclusion into the .LAW TLD
were taken care of by them since they already have that data.  While I am
happy GoDaddy customer in connection with my  existing gTLD registrations,
having GoDaddy stand between me and the .LAW registry does not represent my
best interests, does not increase my user experience, and is likely to
impede innovation and choice.

Just my two cents.

Best regards,

Michael