ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] 360 Degree Market Analysis with a focus on the consumer

  • To: "Michael D. Palage" <michael@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] 360 Degree Market Analysis with a focus on the consumer
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 19:11:27 +0200

On 3/26/10 9:14 PM, Michael D. Palage wrote:

>...I think the primary focus should be on
> what is in the best interest of consumers.

Cue ... Someone always pops up and throws the mantel of "the consumer"
over his or her shoulders, and then says something.

I've never, ever seen someone start with "in the interests of the
consumers ..." and end the sentence with a sentient reference to the
cooperatives, musuems, or Catalan institutions, or any group of
economic entities, cultural institutions, or persons remotely
resembling them.

If there really are consumer advocates in the VI WG, and they're not
blind advocates of the COM model, then we should hear from them. If
they are, as usual, blind advocates of the COM model, then we'll hear
from them anyway, as blind advocates are usually quite indifferent to
the possibilities of their limitations. But lets have the consumer
advocates engage in consumer advocacy, please, not third parties.

Eric