ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: UPDATED [gnso-vi-feb10] Proposed text VI Public Comment Forum

  • To: Marika Konings <marika.konings@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: UPDATED [gnso-vi-feb10] Proposed text VI Public Comment Forum
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 10:17:21 +0100

Monika,

Thanks for making the requested changes, though I'm still a bit iffy
on the "Board approved vs recommended (vs fiat with a conditional
escape clause)" wording.

Apropos to monopoly and competition, the original, pre-Ira proposal
was to place the locus of competition in the registry function, with
two or more competing, and mutually distrustful entities publishing a
unified zonefile, and the ancillary whois data. The CRA bombshells, VI
and SR, didn't question the continued existence of monopoly in the
registry function. This is a more fundamental assumption than VI of
the registry monopolist and one or more of the competitive registrars,
or the elimination of distinct registrants by the registry monopolist,
and therefore all competitive registrars.

I don't expect everyone keen on getting their own registry monopoly
franchise to jump for joy at the idea of the registry being a shared
entity which publishes on well-defined standard interfaces, with
distinct registrars, but I'm going to discuss it as an example when we
get down to policy development.

Eric